Thursday

My First Bullying Experience

I remember the first time I experienced bullying first hand. I was in the eighth grade sitting with my friends outside for lunch, when all of a sudden a girl approached our table. I have to admit that at first I thought that she was coming to sit with us and I was a little surprised because she typically sat with her other friends.


As it turned out, she actually was not coming to sit with us, but instead when she reached our table she dumped the contents of the cup she held in her hand all over my friend. As my friends and I sat at the table in shock the girl uttered a half-hearted “sorry” and returned to her table inside. When I looked through the window, I saw her and her friends laughing as though what she had done was amusing.

It was then that I realized I had actually witnessed bullying and I was furious. Despite how I felt I did not take out my anger by seeking revenge on my friends behalf, but instead I helped my friend clean herself up and I consoled her.

Since that day I have vowed never to tolerate bullying. Everyday I try my best to practice what I preach by being myself and encouraging my peers to do the same not matter what anyone else thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment