Monday

College-Bound! The Girl Talk Guide to Sorority Recruitment


Hey y’all! My name is Peri, and I am one of Girl Talk’s summer interns! I am here to tell you all about navigating sorority recruitment! But first, let me introduce myself.

I am an Atlanta native, but in 2015 I moved to Baton Rouge, Louisiana to attend Louisiana State University-- Geaux Tigers! I am majoring in mass communications with a focus in public relations and minoring in business administration, and let me tell you—it is SO FUN. I love being outside, reading, yoga, and basically anything active. You will never find me watching a movie in the middle of the day, it’s just not in my system. In my current season of life, I am navigating what true rest is and what it looks like for me. I’ll let you know when I figure it out! Life sure is sweet, though!

Okay, enough about me--time to talk about sorority life. The summer after graduation, everyone LOVES to talk about recruitment. All the girls gossip about who is going to be in what sorority and which sorority is the best and which is the worst. I am here to tell you that NONE of that matters.

Absolutely nothing about those conversations should deter you from joining the sorority you feel comfortable in. 

Navigating recruitment is weird and awkward! You are putting yourself out there all day every day for a week straight and that is so scary. You will be super sweaty and probably have a few bad conversations- that’s inevitable. If you fit in perfectly and have perfect conversations in every single sorority please, tell me your secret! It is NORMAL to feel more connected to certain sororities than others- that’s the point. You are trying to find your home for the next four years, not just girls to party with. 

When you’re talking to the girls in line and the girls inside the house always think to yourself, “Could I do life with this person?” or “Would this person support me through a hard time?”. When you really feel like you know the answer to those questions, it will make it so much easier to make a decision if you’re feeling torn between a few houses. I also want to encourage you to keep an open mind. Don’t listen to girls in your group or girls from your hometown. This experience is for YOU and only you! Don’t let anyone steer you in the direction they think is where you need to be. This is your decision, no one else’s. In fact, the only people I talked to about which houses I liked/didn’t like were my Young Life Leaders and my mom. Talk to people that truly have your best interests in mind. Recruitment is crazy but if you trust the process and keep an open mind, you’ll find your new home!

I know many of you are freaking out about your outfits. After being on both sides of recruitment, that seems so silly now. Each day of recruitment requires a different dress code, and the most important thing is to follow that dress code and make sure your outfit is appropriate. No one wants to see your cleavage or how good your booty looks! The active members want to know the girl behind all the makeup and smiles. Walk confidently and dress appropriately and I promise you will look FABULOUS. Comfortable shoes are also SO important. The days are long and you’re standing pretty much the entire time so make sure you don’t end up with blisters all over your feet! If you’re wearing comfy shoes you’re also less likely to trip and fall J.


Once you think you’ve found your home get ready for countless memories and bonds. All of my friends and I joke that college is for finding your bridesmaids, not your husband! Every single day you are exposed to hundreds of girls that welcome you with open arms. Depending on the size of the chapter you join you literally have anywhere from 50-500 options of who to be friends with. How fun is that?? Or maybe to you that’s super intimidating! Either way, I challenge you to step out of your comfort zone every single day. 

Freshman year is such a whirlwind and while it is so important to study and do well in school, I would argue that it is just as important to be social and make friends! Starting a conversation out of thin air is hard but always remember that EVERYONE is looking to make new friends and EVERYONE feels a little awkward!  

No comments:

Post a Comment